Head wrap styles are a must during the summer months. I love summer, the sun is out, everyone feels happier, the weather is good and for many naturals, this is the perfect time to sport one of their many head wrap styles. Summer is the perfect time to rock a bold, colourful, artistic head wrap with pride.
Many would be forgiven for believing that summer is non-existent in the U.K, but according to the official UK records, British summer is from 27th March 2016 to 30th October 2016. Therefore, since we are now in August, it officially means we are in summer time.
Whatever the weather, head wraps and head scarfs always go down a treat, and the best thing about these styles is they are so easy to create, and you can use whatever scarf, head wrap, headscarf or material you have at home. There is an array of different styles and many ways to wrap natural hair that it’s almost impossible to run out of inspiration.
To get started and to help on the way to headwear bliss or simply increasing styling options, I have put together a series of 100 different head wrap and headscarf styles for your viewing pleasure.
Head wrap styles for natural hair Youtube video
For this first head wrap style in the series, you will need only a long scarf. The scarf I am using in this YouTube video is made from 99% cotton and therefore does not have any stretch.
This style is best achieved with a scarf without any tassels. However, any relatively long scarf will do the job just fine. You may also need a bobby pin to pin your hair up for this style. Secure your final look with a safety pin if you want your final masterpiece to be more secure or if you just want peace of mind that your new look won’t spontaneously unravel.
Subscribe, share and comment below the video to let me know your thoughts on this summer look.
When I first received my surprise invitation to be a bridesmaid at my good friend’s wedding, far from been at a loss as to how I would be styling my medium length natural hair for a wedding, I was actually wondering which amazing style should I pull from my treasure chest of natural hairstyles. After a brief look at a couple of YouTube videos and Pinterest photos to help me decide, I was finally left with the difficult choice between a mega empress bun and an elegant sophisticated afro Mohawk. After much deliberation, I finally decided to choose a mega bun; not only is this style super easy to create, but it never fails to attract a flurry of compliments (plus I could only find one banana clip).
With the right knowledge and experience, styling natural hair on a daily basis should be a five minute job. However, equally as important are those special events such as weddings, banquets, promising dates or that very special prom. These occasions should not pose a problem for the natural sister when it comes to styling her kinky, curly, coily, wavy natural hair. Check out my YouTube video above on how I achieved my perfect “mega bun” hairstyle.
Step-by-step styling guide: How I created my mega bun on medium length natural hair for the wedding
1.) I usually start with stretched hair after an old braided out.
2.) Using my trusted bristle brush, I brush my hair up to the crown of my head, ensuring all my stray hair strands are slicked back.
3.) I add moisture to my hair before styling by applying Giovanni direct leave-in conditioner to my hair and ends.
4.) I always use my trusted Eco-styler argon oil gel, as I like to slick down my edges and give my styles a super sleek appearance.
5.) Using a zig zag hair band, I secure my hair at the crown of my head. I always ensure a large circumference area is gripped with the zig zag band to make sure I have more than enough hair left out for the different sections of the mega bun.
6.) Using one leg of an old pair of tights, I secure the zig zag hair band so that my hair feels super secure and to also help my edges lay flat.
7.) Using a small section of hair at the very centre of the hair that is left out, I secure a small mini bun. This mini bun will form the base of the rest for the hair style, as this is where the other sections of the bun will be secured.
8.) I then twist two “chunky” twists, one on each side of the zigzag hair band, just above my ear. These twists will hide the zig zag band and tights as well as add an elegant detail to the finished style.
About The Author
Hello my name is Colleen and thank you for visiting Naturalcocodoll. Dissatisfied with my damaged, breaking, limp relaxed hair I decided to stop chemically treating my hair and embark on a natural hair journey. Along my journey, I learned many valuable lessons and made countless mistakes. I created Naturalcocodoll to share the knowledge and experience I gained on my journey to waist length hair, in the hope I can help other aspiring naturals. Yes, you can grow healthy, long, Type-4 natural hair and I hope Naturalcocodoll will help you achieve your natural hair goals and avoid many of the mistakes I made.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Current Hair Stats
Hair type: 4A/4B coily.
Current Hair Length: Waist length (September 2017).
Goal: Continue to trim at waist length until I have thick, even waist length hair.
Current YouTube Video
- 05 Jun 2018PuffCuff hair clamp review: A hair tool for thick Type-4 natural hairHello curlies, I have a special PuffCuff hair clamp review and tutorial for you today. So……...
- 25 Sep 2017Head wrap styles tutorial for natural hair: Head wrap series style 1Head wrap styles are a must during the summer months. I love summer, the sun is out, everyone feels...
- 30 Apr 2016Hair length check April 2016Hello Curlies, I have another hair length check update for you. If you frequent my blog, you will k...
- 10 Jan 2016Natural hair care – why goal setting is important?Happy New Year my lovelies The start of a new year is a great time for a fresh start, a clean slate....
- 15 Nov 2015Styling medium length natural hair for a weddingWhen I first received my surprise invitation to be a bridesmaid at my good friend’s wedding, far fro...
- 04 Oct 2015Hair update and hair length check September 2015Hello ladies, how are things going? If you are anything like me when it comes to your hair you may f...
- 19 Dec 2014Save the date: Sunday 4th January 2015 – Napturally Happy Hair EventIf you live in the West Midlands you will know that the minority of natural hair events often take p... 1 Comment
- 28 Nov 2013How To Video Tutorial: Elegant Front High Bun Updo on Medium Length 4A/B Natural Hair Hello ladies, I hope you like my second YouTube Video …::::::SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL...
- 19 Feb 2014Giovanni cosmetics are here to stay! Hopefully!It’s sad news ladies. British Curlies yesterday announced they will no longer be stocking Giov...
- 27 Apr 2014My No1. protective style, length retention secret – Crochet Braiding! Video 2...
- 28 Apr 2014My No1. protective style, length retention secret – Crochet Braiding!Click here to view Video 2 of 2 Hello ladies, I am frequently asked how I achieve my hair length and...